The French Honors Program
The French Honors Program is designed for French Majors or other students with demonstrated advanced level French, interested in a comprehensive language and cultural immersion program. As part of the program, students will take a required four unit French honors course which will include one fall or spring semester content course, chosen by the student, as well as an additional seminar style class meeting each week. This hour long weekly seminar will integrate the themes of the students’ chosen course with current sociocultural-political events in France. Students will be expected to keep a daily journal of thoughts, feelings and experiences in French. This journal will be examined and discussed on a regular basis in the weekly seminar meeting.
Please click here for more information about the seminar and course curriculum. In addition, students will:
- Be placed in a homestay where only French is spoken
- Be spoken to in French only by IAU faculty and staff
- Enroll in all courses taught in French
- Opt to take up to two courses at the University of Provence, Aix-Marseille with French students (typically during the spring semester only)
- Attend special receptions, cultural activities and excursions in French
- Participate in a lecture series in French by local experts in politics, journalism and cultural history of the region
- Engage in a French Language Partner Program with French students from the University of Provence, Aix-Marseille
- Opt to be placed into a for-credit 'stage' (internship) based on their academic background and career aspirations
Upon full completion of the program, students will be awarded a Certificate in French Honors Abroad.
Students should have a minimum of 4 semesters of college level French, or the equivalent, to qualify and must be recommended by their institution to participate.
Students can consult the course search page to determine which courses they may be interested in. Any course with a prefix of FRE or one that is cross-listed as a FRE course is an eligible course. Students may take one of their semester courses in English if so desired.
Program Dates and Fees
The dates and fees for the French Honors Program are identical to those of The Aix Center. Please visit the dates and fees page for additional details.