French Honors Program
The French Honors Program is designed for French Majors or other students with demonstrated advanced-level French, interested in a comprehensive language and cultural immersion program. As part of the program, students will take a required four unit French honors course which will include one fall or spring semester content course, chosen by the student, as well as an additional seminar-style class meeting each week. This hour-long weekly seminar will integrate the themes of the student's chosen course with current sociocultural-political events in France. Students will be expected to keep a daily journal of thoughts, feelings and experiences in French. This journal will be examined and discussed on a regular basis in the weekly seminar meeting. Please click here for more information about the seminar and course curriculum.
In addition, students will:
- Be placed in a homestay where only French is spoken
- Be spoken to solely in French by IAU faculty and staff
- Enroll in all courses taught in French
- Opt to take up to two courses at the University of Provence, Aix-Marseille, with French students (typically during the spring semester only)
- Attend special receptions, cultural activities and excursions in French
- Participate in a lecture series in French by local experts in politics, journalism and cultural history of the region
- Engage in a French Language Partner Program with French students from the University of Provence, Aix-Marseille
- Opt to be placed into a for-credit 'stage' (internship) based on their academic background and career aspirations
Upon full completion of the program, students will be awarded a Certificate in French Honors Abroad.
Read about what current French Honors students are doing in Aix on our blog!